A few months ago, Alan and I went to Austin, TX for a weekend trip. Our plan was to leave as soon as I got home from work and try to be in Austin by dinnertime. As is common, I ended up leaving work later than planned, and, in my haste to throw everything in the car, I accidentally left all my makeup behind – something I didn’t realize till we got to our hotel room. While my first response was to lament my carelessness and search for the nearest Sephora, I quickly realized that I actually had all the essential beauty basics I needed. So, although I inadvertently spent the weekend sporting a “fresh face” look, I was still able to feel confident and presentable.
1. Aveda rosemary mint shampoo and conditioner. This is, by far, my most favorite shampoo and conditioner. The combination of rosemary and mint scents helps to wake me up in the morning and allows me imagine that I’m at a relaxing day spa, as opposed to getting ready for a 10 hour work day.
2. Clinique clarifying lotion 2. I’ve been loyal to Clinique since middle school, as it seems to be one of the only skincare lines that doesn’t cause my face to break out. I use this toner twice a day – once in the morning after waking up and again at night after washing my face. It helps to brighten my skin and make it feel fresh.
3. Clinique dramatically different moisturizing lotion. Like the toner, I use this lotion twice a day – once in the morning before applying my BB cream (as my skin needs the extra moisture) and at night before going to sleep.
4. Garnier BB cream. I started using this BB cream several years ago, and I love it. It’s cheap, it helps to even out my skintone, and its spf 15 makes me feel like I’m doing my best in the fight against fine lines and wrinkles.
5. Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion. Even though I live in Louisiana, my skin still doesn’t seem to be immune from becoming dry. I like using Aveeno because it keeps my skin moisturized throughout the day without the need to reapply.
6. Burt’s Bees tinted lip balm. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but in high school I was a slave to the tanning beds and viewed any product boasting spf protection as the enemy. However, as I’ve become older and wiser, I’ve learned to embrace my fair skin and remain fully stocked in beauty products with spf, including this tinted lip balm from Burt’s Bees.